Appropriate Body (AB)
If your school employs an Early Career Teacher – ECT, you must register them with an Appropriate Body.
We are committed to providing a highly-skilled, central point of contact for all schools and ECTs led by a team of dedicated ECT specialists and senior leaders with years of experience operating as an Appropriate Body. This will be a standardised approach across the region that is consistent, yet personalised, to meet the needs of all schools and their ECTs.
- Independent quality assurance of the Early Career Teacher induction & entitlement
- Expert advice and training for Headteachers and ECF Induction Tutors in all school settings
- Fair and consistent assessment against the Teachers’ Standards across all institutions
- Streamlined processes for monitoring Professional Progress Reviews & Formal Assessments through ECT Manager
- Transition support for ECTs moving to a new AB, school, or changing the length of induction
- All registrations and reporting to the Teacher Regulation Agency
- Use of ECT Manager online portal (previously known as NQT Manager), streamlining processes and reducing workload.
Schools have the option of three different induction routes for their ECT:
Full Induction Programme: a funded provider led programme e.g. Ambition Institute, offering high quality training for early career teachers and their mentors alongside professional development materials.
Core Induction Programme: schools can draw on the content of the high-quality professional development materials accredited by the DfE to deliver their own early career teacher and mentor support.
School-based programme: school can design and deliver their own induction programme.